Join Now -1)) { fetch_object('currentPost').scrollIntoView(true); }">

Go Back   online-dating.app: Free Online Dating, Online Singles & Online Chat > Love & Life > Safe Dating Practices
FAQ

Old 08-15-2011, 09:52 AM
v1rusdr

DefaultWhy pictures are so important to males (and even females)

Why pictures are so important to males (and even females)

An opinion piece: Opinions expressed are not representative and have no scientific backing.
By Jerrold the v1rusdr (virus doctor).

Dating sites always ask you for a picture. I’m sure there is proof that profiles with a picture get much better results. But the question is: Which pictures work?

Beyond any doubt, the best picture shows the full face. A straight-on picture showing the smile and the eyes will garner the best reviews. Why? Because no matter what, whether it be the first impression or 30 years later, all we really see in a person is their face. It is the key to communication. The face shows happiness, sadness, surprise, disapproval and scared.

We also expect to see a full length picture – head to toes. Now, these pictures will differ based on your best features. Not that we get fooled easily, but a “bigger” woman should pose in profile rather than straight-on.

When choosing other pictures, remember who you are trying to attract. It may be very tempting to attach a bathing suit picture – after all, this is Florida (writer’s location). But “skin” pictures are considered revealing and could be construed to show promiscuity (despite the fact that dating and marriage is supposed to lead to sexual activity!) Therefore, you have to be careful on how your dress and what you wear.

There is a matter of prospective. If the person taking the picture takes the picture from BELOW your eye level (say on one knee), then you will look taller and more domineering. If the picture is taken well above your eye level, then you will look shorter and more submissive. Also, if you are wearing a revealing top, then a shot from above may show more than you like (deliberately?).

Aside: A lot of people show off their children, their dogs, cats and horses, even motorcycles. Personally, I feel for protection and privacy, pictures of children should NOT be included. And of course, pictures of family and former spouses may be inappropriate too. (x’ing out someone’s head is funny, but cruel).

Finally, one more check: Always review your pictures to see if TOO MUCH information is included. I’ve seen backgrounds with cork boards – which can be enlarged – showing banking statements, passwords and ‘location’ information accidently posted on the boards.

Jerrold
Old 08-16-2011, 02:23 PM
lois11787

This seems like excellent advice. I am wondering though how you can know if the photo you see really is the person who says they posted it.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:59 PM
steadyas-shegoes

Why does it say that pictures I uploaded are awaiting verification? (I just joined tonight!) TIA.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:26 AM
dancewme53

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1rusdr View Post
Why pictures are so important to males (and even females)

An opinion piece: Opinions expressed are not representative and have no scientific backing.
By Jerrold the v1rusdr (virus doctor).

Dating sites always ask you for a picture. I’m sure there is proof that profiles with a picture get much better results. But the question is: Which pictures work?

Beyond any doubt, the best picture shows the full face. A straight-on picture showing the smile and the eyes will garner the best reviews. Why? Because no matter what, whether it be the first impression or 30 years later, all we really see in a person is their face. It is the key to communication. The face shows happiness, sadness, surprise, disapproval and scared.

We also expect to see a full length picture – head to toes. Now, these pictures will differ based on your best features. Not that we get fooled easily, but a “bigger” woman should pose in profile rather than straight-on.

When choosing other pictures, remember who you are trying to attract. It may be very tempting to attach a bathing suit picture – after all, this is Florida (writer’s location). But “skin” pictures are considered revealing and could be construed to show promiscuity (despite the fact that dating and marriage is supposed to lead to sexual activity!) Therefore, you have to be careful on how your dress and what you wear.

There is a matter of prospective. If the person taking the picture takes the picture from BELOW your eye level (say on one knee), then you will look taller and more domineering. If the picture is taken well above your eye level, then you will look shorter and more submissive. Also, if you are wearing a revealing top, then a shot from above may show more than you like (deliberately?).

Aside: A lot of people show off their children, their dogs, cats and horses, even motorcycles. Personally, I feel for protection and privacy, pictures of children should NOT be included. And of course, pictures of family and former spouses may be inappropriate too. (x’ing out someone’s head is funny, but cruel).

Finally, one more check: Always review your pictures to see if TOO MUCH information is included. I’ve seen backgrounds with cork boards – which can be enlarged – showing banking statements, passwords and ‘location’ information accidently posted on the boards.

Jerrold
I agree. I think it's only fair that each person gets to see if there is some physical attraction there. I even lable mine with dates to show that they are recent. I feel like the person has something to hide when they don't post one or post one that's too far away to really see their face. I don't really care about your car or Harley, I want to see the person I would be meeting if we connect. I also want to see something written about yourself. What is there to interest me if there's no picture & nothing written about you? Seriously, you're wasting your time!
Old 09-12-2011, 09:54 AM
pinkclover

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadyas-shegoes View Post
Why does it say that pictures I uploaded are awaiting verification? (I just joined tonight!) TIA.

Because they verify that your picture is appropriate for their website..........since you just joined it is waiting for them to verify it.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:03 AM
pinkclover

Personally I don't have a picture, but my profile also says no contact please. Honestly I wouldn't post a picture here after reading these forums.

But the question of how do you know the picture posted is real? You don't. It's just a picture on the screen and words typed. Most people can type what they think someone wants to read along with posting a fake picture. I personally think that people put too much emphasis on the pictures and the profiles. Sometimes I wonder what makes the person who is willing to post a fake picture any better than the person who won't post a picture? Or should I say what makes the person who doesn't want to/doesn't know how to post a picture any less worthy than the person who is more than willing to post a fake picture and fake words to attract some unsuspecting victim????????????????

I guess my point is that not all people who do not post a picture are fake, and not all people who post a picture are real.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:55 PM
lois11787

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkclover View Post
Personally I don't have a picture, but my profile also says no contact please. Honestly I wouldn't post a picture here after reading these forums.

But the question of how do you know the picture posted is real? You don't. It's just a picture on the screen and words typed. Most people can type what they think someone wants to read along with posting a fake picture. I personally think that people put too much emphasis on the pictures and the profiles. Sometimes I wonder what makes the person who is willing to post a fake picture any better than the person who won't post a picture? Or should I say what makes the person who doesn't want to/doesn't know how to post a picture any less worthy than the person who is more than willing to post a fake picture and fake words to attract some unsuspecting victim????????????????

I guess my point is that not all people who do not post a picture are fake, and not all people who post a picture are real.
So is the picture that you have not posted you or not?
Old 09-24-2011, 01:44 AM
smokincigars

I'd like to add a few tips to the discussion.

When it comes to photos, size matters. You don't need to post an 8x10, and online dating sites usually impose restrictions on maximum size, but you don't want to post thumbnail-size pics either. Something in-between that makes it easy to see how you look (and where you are, if that's important} is good.

Make sure your pics are in focus and not blurry. Otherwise they are pretty much a waste of time. Same goes for pics where your face is in shadow; if I can't see your face, posting the picture does neither of us much good.

Posed portraits are usually good (preferably as secondary photos, not your primary head shot), but obvious "glamor shots" are probably a waste of time. Yes, the photographer and other staff at these places can do wonders to make you look your best, but it's clearly an artificial image instead of you you look in everyday life, and usually very easy to detect. For me, a "glamor shot" is a red flag -- unless you are a professional model, of course.

I prefer to see a date-stamp on photos, especially head shots, because it shows just how recently the photo was taken. Most modern digital cameras, including webcams, have a date-stamp feature; be sure to turn it on before you take any new photos that might go onto your profile. (Yes, a date-stamp can be faked; but it's more work than most people are willing to bother with.)
Old 09-24-2011, 11:09 PM
pinkclover

Quote:
Originally Posted by lois11787 View Post
So is the picture that you have not posted you or not?

Yes but my profile is fake..............because no really means yes right???????? Wait a minute...............

Tags
dating, pictures, revealing, v1rusdr

Show Printable VersionShow Printable Version
Email this PageEmail this Page
Linear ModeLinear Mode
Hybrid ModeSwitch to Hybrid Mode
Threaded ModeSwitch to Threaded Mode